Facebook Threatens News Share Ban in Australia
- Facebook has threatened to stop users from sharing news content in Australia as it prepares for a new law forcing it to pay publishers for their articles.
- The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) wants tech giants like Facebook and Google to pay for the content reposted from news outlets.
- Last month Google warned its users that its search services could be “dramatically worse” as a result and Facebook’s latest move to block news sharing has escalated tensions between tech firms and regulators.
- The social media network said that if the proposed legislation becomes law it will stop Australians from sharing news on Facebook and its subsidiary Instagram.
- The ACCC responded to Facebook’s threat to block news content saying it was “ill-timed and misconceived”.