Children’s Commissioner: Abuse should never be dismissed as ‘boys being boys’
- The Shropshire Star reports that the Children’s Commissioner for England has warned that sexual abuse should never be dismissed as “boys being boys” or “banter”.
- Dame Rachel de Souza made her comments as ministers and school leaders face growing calls to tackle sexual harassment and violence against young people, following thousands of allegations of sexual abuse by students.
- She said: “The growing number of children revealing they have been sexually abused or harassed at school is alarming, and a reminder that MeToo does not begin at 18.”
- Her comments came after more than 10,000 reports were posted on the Everyone’s Invited website, where students can anonymously share their experiences of misogyny, harassment, abuse and assault.
- For the full story, select here.