County lines: 1,100 people arrested in UK crackdown
- A crackdown on county lines drug dealing gangs resulted in the arrest of 1,100 people and the seizure of 292 weapons.
- Forces across the UK boosted activity against county lines gangs in the week from 17 to 23 May.
- In this week there were 33 guns and 219 knives among the weapons seized and 80 drug dealing phone lines identified.
- County line gangs are urban drug dealers who sell to customers in more rural areas via dedicated phone lines.
- There are currently thought to be around 600 of these gangs operating in the UK, down from around 2,000 two years ago.
- They are notorious for exploiting children to work as couriers and forcing vulnerable people to let them use their homes to conceal or deal drugs.
- For the full story, select here.
- To learn more about County Lines, select here.