Messenger adds New Features
- Meta owned Messenger has announced new features to coincide with Valentine’s Day.
- The platform will add expanded voice messages, voice message previews and split bill payments for US users.
- The duration of voice messages will increase from 1 minute to 30 minutes, users will also be able to preview their voice messages before sending.
- Read more on the social media today website.
Facebook and Instagram Launch anti-extremism tool
- Facebook and Instagram users in the UK who search for content related to organised hate or violent extremism will now be redirected to resources and support.
- The Redirect Initiative will replace top search results for extremist-related content with a link for help and support.
- Facebook research indicates that challenging violent and extremist views with positive ‘counter speech’ is one of the most effective ways to combat extremist views.
- Read more on The National website.
Survey finds than 1 in 5 girls experience Cyberflashing
- A survey by Girlguiding of 13-21-year-olds also found that more than a third had experienced sexist comments, a fifth have been sexually harassed, and 16 per cent said they had been pressured to share nude pictures.
- Almost eight out of ten girls and young women have experienced online harm, which is having a negative impact on their mental health, the survey found.
- Just 15 per cent of the 1,000 women and girls surveyed last month think that social media is a safe place for them.
- Read more on Children and Young People Now.
More than 300 Children ‘saved from harm’ during online crackdown
- Last year the Essex–based Police Online Investigation Team safeguarded 303 children, carried out 287 raids, made 133 arrests and secured 212 positive outcomes in cases.
- Temporary Detective Inspector Jim Adams leads the team and says the work they do “has never been more important”.
- This comes amid warnings from the Internet Watch Foundation that almost 90% of Online Child Sexual Abuse Content is hosted in Europe.
- Read more on Yahoo News and Police Professional Websites.