Perceptions of cyber security in education need to change
- Schools are key targets for cybercrime – the move to remote learning left schools vulnerable and unprepared to protect themselves against cyber criminals.
- Over the last 18 months, two-thirds of UK schools claim to have suffered a cyber-attack.
- Additionally, only 35% felt strongly that they were prepared to protect their school in the future.
- You can read the full story on the FE News website.
NFTs are coming to Facebook and Instagram
- A report suggests Meta is going to unveil its plans for posting and sharing non-fungible tokens (NFTs) on Facebook in mid-May.
- This will be followed by testing of a feature to allow membership of Facebook groups based on NFT ownership and another based on creating NFTs.
- NFTs may also be monetised via fees or ads in the future.
- To read more about NFTs, check out our article.
- You can read the full story on the Social Media Today’s website.
New figures show growing number of children suffering from exploitation
- Figures published last week by The Office for National Statistics show evidence of an increase in children suffering exploitation and a low number of prosecutions.
- Since the Modern Slavery Act in 2016, more than 21,000 children have been referred for support as potential victims of forced labour, and sexual or criminal exploitation.
- An over-reliance on children understanding and disclosing their exploitation was found and there was a failure by agencies to build and share evidence and intervene early.
- You can read the full story on the LocalGov website.
Staffordshire Police ‘not effectively safeguarding children’
- A report has shown that Staffordshire Police is not effectively safeguarding children and needs to do more to give consistently good service for children.
- The force was criticised for its handling of missing children’s cases, as it took them too long to recognise risks and respond.
- The report also said investigations into sexting offences among children are “sometimes confused”.
- The force has stated it is committed to making improvements.
- You can read the full story on the BBC’s website.