Twitter disperses the Trust and Safety Council after key members resigned
- Twitter has dispersed their Trust and Safety council today (December 13th).
- The Trust and Safety council was an advisory group consisting of around 100 independent researchers and human rights activists, formed in 2016.
- It was created to give Twitter an input on various content and human rights-related issues, such as the removal of child sexual abuse material, suicide prevention and online safety.
- This has the potential to have implications for Twitter’s global content moderation.
- For more, go to the Tech Crunch’s website.
Screen time linked to increased odds of young people developing OCD
- In a new study led by UC San Francisco (UCSF) researchers have found that excessive screen time is linked to higher likelihood of developing obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) in young people.
- The odds of developing OCD over a period of two years increased by 13% for every hour of video games played and 11% for every hour they watched videos.
- The average young person spent 3.9 hours daily on different platforms.
- Lead researcher, Jason Nagata had said, “Although screen time can have important benefits such as education and increased socialisation, parents should be aware of the potential risks, especially to mental health.”
- For more on this story, please visit the Independent’s website.
Ofsted – Delays to special needs help is an ‘acute concern’
- Delays for support for children with special educational needs in England are of “acute concern” according to Ofsted’s chief inspector.
- The regulator has said that half of local authorities inspected in the last school year had “significant weaknesses” in their special educational needs provision.
- They also highlighted that children’s education post pandemic is being held back as a result of staff shortages.
- The Department for Education are to set out an improvement plan for 2023.
- To learn more, go to the BBC’s website.